Dr Yuri Seo
PhD, MCom (Hons), BCom (Hons)
Dr Yuri Seo is a Senior Lecturer in Marketing at the University of Auckland Business School, and Director of Korea Studies Centre at the New Zealand Asia Institute. In his research, Yuri focuses on how postmodern consumers acquire, utilise, cross-fertilise, and transform cultural resources for their personal and/or broader social needs. Currently, this encompasses three distinct streams of research: (1) digital consumer culture and behaviour, (2) luxury consumption and cultural branding, and (3) multicultural marketplaces. Yuri’s research has been published in leading academic journals, such as Journal of Advertising, Journal of Business Research, Marketing Letters, International Marketing Review, and Journal of Consumer Culture, among others. He was a recipient of several awards, including University of Auckland Early Career Research Excellene Award (ECREA) and ANZMAC Emerging Researcher of the Year Award. Prior to (re-)joining the University of Auckland in 2016, Yuri held the positions of Senior Lecturer and Postgraduate Director in Marketing at Victoria University of Wellington.
Research | Current
- Selected Publications:
1. Seo, Y., Li, X., Choi, Y., Yoon, S. (2018). Narrative transportation and paratextual features of social media in viral advertising, Journal of Advertising, 47(1), 83-95 (A in ABDC list).
2. Cruz, A., Seo, Y., Rex, M. (2018). A practice theoretical perspective of trolling in online communities, The Information Society, 34(1), 15-26 (A in ABDC list).
3. Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M. (2017). Constructing a typology of luxury brand consumption practices, Journal of Business Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.09.019 (A in ABDC list).
4. Cruz, A., Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M. (2017). Religion as a field of transcultural practices in multicultural marketplaces, Journal of Business Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.07.022 (A in ABDC list).
5. Han, J., Seo, Y., Ko, E. (2017). Staging luxury experiences for understanding sustainable fashion consumption: A balance theory application. Journal of Business Research, 74, 162-167 (A in ABDC list).
6. Seo, Y., (2016). Professionalized consumption and identity transformations in the field of eSports, Journal of Business Research, 69(1), 264-272 (A in ABDC list).
7. Kwon, J., Seo, Y., Ko, D. (2016). Effective luxury-brand advertising: The ES-IF matching model, Journal of Advertising, 45(4), 459-471 (A in ABDC list).
8. Seo, Y., Jung, S. (2016). Beyond solitary play in computer games: the social practices of eSports, Journal of Consumer Culture, 16(3), 635-655 (A in ERA list, SSCI Ranking: 1st out of 39 in Cultural Studies; 4th out of 143 in Sociology).
9. Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M., Cruz, A. (2015). Rethinking luxury brand markets as confluences of multiple cultural beliefs. International Marketing Review, 32(2), 141-159 (A in ABDC list).
10. Ko, D., Seo, Y., Jung, S. (2015). Examining the effect of cultural congruence, processing fluency, and uncertainty avoidance in online purchase decisions in the U.S. and Korea. Marketing Letters, 26(3), 377-390 (A in ABDC list).
- Additional Publications:
11. Choi, Y., Seo, Y., Yoon, S. (2017). E-WOM messaging on social media: social ties, temporal distance, and message concreteness. Internet Research, 27(3), 495-505 (A in ABDC list).
12. Seo, Y., Kelleher, C., Brodie R. (2017). Broadening brand engagement within the service-centric perspective: an intersubjective hermeneutic framework. Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27(2), 317-335 (A in ABDC list).
13. Gosling, M., Richard, J., Seo, Y. (2017). Markets and market boundaries: a social practice approach, Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27(2), 408-426 (A in ABDC list).
14. Akaka, M., Corsaro, D., Kelleher, C., Maglio, P., Seo, Y., Lusch, R., Vargo, S. (2014). The role of symbols in value cocreation. Marketing Theory, 14(3), 311-326 (A in ABDC list).
15. Seo, Y. (2013). Electronic sports: a new marketing landscape of the experience economy. Journal of Marketing Management, 29(13-14), 1542-15-60 (A in ABDC list).
16. Buchanan-Oliver, M., Seo, Y. (2012). Play as co-created narrative in computer game consumption: the hero’s journey in Warcraft III. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 11(6), 423-513 (B in ABDC list).
- Invited and Viewpoint Publications:
17. Seo, Y., Gao, H. (2015). Towards a value-based perspective of consumer multicultural orientation. European Management Journal, 33(1), 30-36 (B in ABDC list).
18. Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver M. (2015). Luxury branding: the industry, trends, and future conceptualizations. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 27(1), 82-98 (B in ABDC list).
19. Seo, Y., Fam, K. (2015). Researching asian consumer culture in the global marketplace. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 18(4), 386-390 (B in ABDC list).
20. Seo, Y., Cruz, A, Fam, K. (2015). Food consumption and marketing: turning toward Asia. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 32(7), 501 - 504 (B in ABDC list).
21. Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M., Fam, K. (2015). Advancing research on computer game consumption: a future research agenda. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 14(6), 353-356 (B in ABDC list).
- Selected Conference Proceedings:
1. Jung, S., Seo, Y. (2017). Who are more influential in a virtual world?, American Marketing Association Winter Conference, Orlando, FL, U.S.A.
2. Choi, Y., Seo, Y., Yoon, S. (2017). Perceived tie strength and temporal distance on social media: What kind of messages do consumers like to share?, American Marketing Association Winter Conference, Orlando, FL, U.S.A.
3. Cruz, A., Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M. (2016). Fields of transcultural practices: The role of religion in multicultural marketplaces, Advances in Consumer Research, Berlin, Germany.
4. Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M. (2016). Towards a typology of luxury consumption practices, Global Marketing Conference, Hong Kong (GAMMA President's Choice Awards Paper).
5. Rex, M., Cruz, A., Seo, Y. (2015). Towards a broader understanding of online trolling: A practice theoretical perspective, Advances in Consumer Research, New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.
6. Gao, H., Seo, Y., Laufer, D. (2015). Toward and Institution-based view of crisis management in emerging markets: and analysis of food safety crisis in China, American Marketing Association Winter Conference, San-Antonio, TX, U.S.A.
7. Seo, Y., Brodie, R. (2015). Broadening the concept of brand engagement in S-D logic perspective, Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Brisbane, Australia (Best Paper in Services Marketing Track).
8. Seo, Y., Gao, H. (2013). Conceptualizing a consumer values orientation for multiculturalism. Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Auckland, New Zealand (EMJ Early Career Conference Paper Award).
9. Ko, D., Seo, Y., Jung, S. (2013). The influence of cultural congruence on perceived risk and trust in online-purchase decisions: Processing fluency as a mediator. European Marketing Academy Conference, Istanbul, Turkey.
10. Seo, Y., Buchanan-Oliver, M. (2011). Understanding luxury brands: In pursuit of the meaning of brand luxuriousness. AMS World Marketing Congress. Reims, France.
Teaching | Current
2017 - 2018 MTKG705 Advanced Consumer Behaviour
2017 - 2018 MKTG306 Advertising and Promotions
2016 - 2018 MKTG303 Consumer Behaviour
2016 BUS101 Business and Enterprise I
2016 Visiting Professorship, Yonsei University
Digital consumer culture and behaviour
Luxury consumption and cultural branding
Multicultural marketplaces and global consumer culture
- Research Awards and Honours:
2018 University of Auckland Early Career Research Excellence Award (ECREA)
2017 ANZMAC Emerging Researcher of the Year Award
2016 Emerald Literati Network Award for Excellence, Winner of the Outstanding Paper in APJML
2016 KSMS International Conference Best Paper Excellence Award
2015 KSMS International Conference Best Paper Premier Award
2014 ANZMAC Best Paper in Services Marketing Track Award
2013 ANZMAC/EMJ Early Career Conference Paper Award
- Service Awards and Honours:
2018 Invited Speaker for Culture and Design Management Program Special Lecture Series at Yonsei University
2017 Global Fashion Management Conference Best Track Chair Award
- Competitive Research Grants and Funding:
2017 - 2018 CUPKS Korea Studies Research Fund (PI)
2016 University of Auckland SRT Grant $59,000 (PI)
2016 University of Auckland FRDF Grant $17,500 (PI)
2016 Amore Pacific Foundation Sponsored Research Agreement $12,000 (PI)
2013 Victoria University DVC Research Establishment Grant $10,000 (PI)
Areas of expertise
Digital Consumer Culture
Luxury Fashion and Branding
Marketing in Asia