Professor Zoran Salcic
Dipl.Ing, M.E., PhD
Zoran Salcic is a professor of computer systems engineering at The University of Auckland. He completed most of his PhD research at the City College New York (CCNY). His main research interests include complex digital systems design, custom-computing machines, reconfigurable computing, FPGAs, processor and computer systems architectures, embedded systems and their implementation, design automation tools for embedded systems, hardware-software co-design, new computing architectures and models of computation and languages for heterogeneous systems, and related areas in computer systems engineering in which he earned international recognition and reputation.
Recently, he also started research in the area of micro- and nano-devices for optoelectronic computing. He supervised more than 350 students in their final undergraduate projects, PhD and Master’s research. Besides academic he also has significant industrial experience in related high tech industries.
He has published more than 250 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers, several books and numerous technical reports. He is editor-in-chief of EURASIP Journal on Embedded systems. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society (Academy of Science) New Zealand and recipient of Alexander von Humboldt Research Award in 2010.
Dipl.Ing., Electrical Engineering, Sarajevo University, 1972
M.E., Computer Engineering, Sarajevo University, 1974
PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sarajevo University, 1976
Research | Current
- Embedded systems hardware, software and challenging applications
- Digital system design and custom computing machines
- Concurrent programming and system design languages
- Adaptive computing systems
For more visit my personal page.
- Embedded Systems
Teaching | Current
- COMPSYS 305 Digital Systems Design
- COMPSYS 403 Embedded Systems Design
- COMPSYS701Advanced digital systems design
- COMPSYS704 Advanced embedded systems
- On research and study leave till end of 2010
- Fellow Royal Society New Zealand
- Recipient of Humboldt Research Award
- Senior member IEEE
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wang, K. I.-K., Andrews, M., Salcic, Z., Bates, A., Scott, T., Akagi, J., & Wlodkowic, D. (2014). Unsupervised image analysis for zebrafish embryogenesis using lab-on-A-chip embryo arrays. International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, 50 (1-2), 99-112.
- Wang, K. I.-K., Yeh, J., Salcic, Z., Akagi, J., & Wlodkowic, D. (2014). FPGA-based bio-cybernetic automation system for lab-on-A-chip zebrafish embryo arrays. International Journal of Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, 13 (1-2), 17-36.
- Akeila, E., Salcic, Z., & Swain, A. (2014). Reducing low-cost INS error accumulation in distance estimation using self-resetting. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 63 (1), 177-184.
- Wang, K. I., Salcic, Z., Yeh, J., Akagi, J., Zhu, F., Hall, C. J., ... Wlodkowic, D. (2013). Toward embedded laboratory automation for smart Lab-on-a-Chip embryo arrays. Biosens Bioelectron, 48, 188-196. 10.1016/j.bios.2013.04.033
- Ziermann, T., Salcic, Z., & Teich, J. (2013). HW/SW tradeoffs for dynamic message scheduling in Controller Area Network (CAN). Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 7767 LNCS, 159-170.
- Salcic, Z., & Malik, A. (2013). GALS-HMP: A heterogeneous multiprocessor for embedded applications. Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, 12 (SUPPL1).
- Yoong, L. H., Roop, P., & Salcic, Z. (2012). Implementing Constrained Cyber-Physical Systems with IEC 61499. ACM Transactions in Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), 11 (4),10.1145/2362336.2362345
- Malik, A., Salcic, Z., Chong, C., & Javed, S. (2012). System-level approach to the design of a smart distributed surveillance system using Systemj. Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, 11 (4).